4 servings | Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 20 minutes | Source: Table for Two original
4 tbsp. unsalted butter
4 tbsp. all-purpose flour
3 cups vegetable stock
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
16 oz. orzo pasta
1 1/2 cups freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
1 tbsp. fresh sage, chopped
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper (more if you like more heat)
Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium high heat then whisk in flour and cook for 1 minute, whisking constantly so it doesn’t burn.
- Pour in the vegetable stock, milk, water, and pumpkin puree. Whisk to incorporate everything and turn heat down to medium and let mixture thicken up, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add the orzo to the pot and stir to incorporate. Cover pot and let orzo cook for 12 minutes, or however long the instructions on the box says.
- Once the orzo is done, stir in the parmesan cheese, sage, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Stir altogether with a wooden spoon to combine and then cut the heat.
- Serve warm with additional parmesan cheese on top.
Note: if your mixture seems too thick, you can add more vegetable stock or water to thin it out prior to adding the pasta.